Watching videos of yourself performing on stage has a number of benefits.
What are they?
- raises your awareness of how you come across to others,
- acts as a record of your progress
- accelerates your development as a speaker if you act on what you see
So what’s the process at Spa Speakers?
Making good use of your swanky smartphone camera
Your fancy smartphone with video recording capability is a very valuable tool for your development as a speaker. At Spa, we encourage members to hand their device to the member sitting next to them and have them take a recording for you.
Don’t be shy!
We all want to support you and will be happy to take your phone and film you in action. If you are reluctant to ask whoever is sitting next to you (maybe you are flanked with guests, in which case perhaps not a good idea), do ask a member you are comfortable with before the meeting begins; they will sit next to you and take the video.
For the most part, members are most interested in having their prepared speeches recorded, but there is also great value in having your meeting roles and Table topic speeches recorded too. It’s always highly illuminating to self-observe when you get on stage!
(one caveat, contest speeches cannot be filmed)
Pick your seat well
To get the best video possible, make sure you sit central and near the front so you get the best sound and image capture possible.
Don’t forget to clear your phone’s memory
Oh, and before you arrive, make sure you have adequate storage space on your device so you get the full video!
Be kind to yourself!
Finally, don’t be too hard on yourself. Almost everyone recoils when they see themselves on camera!
- How does Pathways affect the Distinguished Club Award? - 1st April 2020
- 10 Tips for controlling your public speaking nerves - 25th March 2020
- Expand your comfort zone and speak at another club! - 18th March 2020